Thursday, April 1, 2010

creative cooking for one.



Post-grad life has provided me the chance to explore new activities that I didn't have the time or energy for as a student, my favorite being ...cooking! I am now the recipient of the monthly Food Network magazine (thanks Mom, best gift ever!) and have been known to refer to the TV chefs by name while I'm cooking: "Ina told me that store-bought chicken stock cannot compete with homemade, so I'm making my own." etc. But I have found it tricky cooking for one, which usually ends in me cooking for four, eating for two and having two days of not-quite-as-good-as-the-original leftovers. The best remedy I've found for this problem is friends; inviting them over to eat my new recipes is way more fun than eating alone. Last fall I read, "Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant" edited by: Jenni Ferrari-Adler, a hilarious collection of essays about cooking for one and the culinary adventures that such a situation brings. I laughed a lot and then loaned it out to my cousin.

Last night's dinner: Asparagus and Polenta in Marinara Sauce with smoked Goat Cheese.
Last night's dessert: handful of green grapes
Last night's ACTUAL dessert: a scoop of Edy's Tagalong Ice Cream

1 comments:

Maggie said...

I am willing to eat your culinary creations any time.